Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Can I Ever Note?

I was reading a blog post on a localization topic and was going to share some thoughts about it, but Evernote, the utility mentioned in the post, was so attractive that I first decided to check it out. By the way, I must admit that Russian localization of the site is pretty good. The only problem for me was that it is sort of haunting: I wanted the site to appear in English and I switched language wherever I could, but as soon as there was no choice it appeared in Russian again.

So, the idea is brilliant, I think. I have been looking for a single place to make notes for ages, and I do believe the implementation of the idea is also good. But 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'. I just could not see how it works. Either I am unlucky or the site creators didn't account for poor users of Internet Explorer (yes, I know that it is a mauvais ton to use it, but believe me I have good reasons for that) - so, when tried to sign up, all I got was that:



I couldn't force it to provide the picture in English. The red text says: Please enter the characters you see on the picture above. Does anybody see any picture?

When I opened it in Opera, it showed not only the picture, but a control to hear the characters in case I don't see them. But I'm afraid I'd like to use a single Web browser like I'm looking for a single note solution. And why cannot we make sites that at least work (let them work differently, but just work, i.e. provide all functionality that is necessary to use the site) in all popular browsers?

No comments:

Post a Comment