Sunday, June 28, 2009

Google Translate

Recently I started learning Swedish. And I immediately started interacting in Swedish. And to not waste my time for boring word-for-word translation with regular check of grammar rules, I tried Google Translate. It provided quite sensible translations from Swedish into English. Sometimes when I didn't have time to recheck what it translated for me, I sent out some stupid Swedish text, but in most cases I ran through the whole translation to learn from it and make sure it makes sense, and it was quite good. It really inspired me. Indeed, everyone is saying machine translation is already here doing things for us, but it's just another pair of shoes when you see it in practice and can easily use it.

So, I certainly wanted to test it with Russian. I didn't hope to get too much, but I've always believed that statistical machine translation is better for Russian than rule-based one, and with Google's huge text corpus, I was pretty sure that it should make at least some sense.

No, it didn't.

(to be continued, however, after some more tests with Russian...)

1 comment:

  1. Any remarks on GTT projects from Google? Which I am sure your company is doing for over a year - as well as mine :)
    Using GTT for professional purposes - that would be intresting to read your feedback about ;)

    ReplyDelete