Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Russian Rules

If you ever hesitated about Russian spelling, grammar, punctuation etc. and spent dozens of so important minutes looking through hard copies of grammar references and other books, you will really appreciate what Ilya Birman from Chelyabinsk did. He prepared a web release of Russian grammar rules with quite powerful and flexible search capabilities.

If you speak Russian (and I believe you do if you’re interested in Russian spelling), I’d rather let Ilya himself to introduce his project:



Of course, I played with the site myself – unfortunately for a very limited period of time, – and found just a couple of smallish things that I was not happy with. First off, the site is apparently not optimized for Internet Explorer which I still use for some strange reasons (or, more exactly, without any particular reasons). It looks differently and not so nicely in IE, but what is much more important, I didn't notice any functionality problems. The second thing is that the search is "too intelligent". It works as you type and provides the results before you typed everything you wanted. This seemed slightly confusing for me, but I think it's something you can easily get adjusted to.

This is certainly not the first effort to make an interactive Russian grammar reference, but compared with probably the most popular gramota.ru, Ilya’s project is the first comprehensive attempt to index and codify them, and I'm really happy we have it now. Thanks, Ilya!

P.S. Additionally, Ilya's blog on Russian language is also quite interesting for those who love Russian.

No comments:

Post a Comment